Protects the sea from plastics

There is an estimated 86 billion kilograms of plastic in the ocean. Each year, another 8 billion kilograms is added. Estimations indicate that 80% of this annual amount is added by rivers and the remaining 20% by coastal and offshore areas. The impact on the ecosystem is enormous. Birds, dolphins and whales often mistake plastics for food and die. People also have a great interest in the food we get out of the sea. Therefore, the ambition of H2O Barrier is big. Creating a reversed delta plan whereby they do not protect the Netherlands from the sea, but they protect the sea from the plastics. Is it possible to filter plastics from rivers rather than let it flow into the sea?

IFE finalist + Acceleration session 2 – Public investments in pilots: constraints and opportunities

SDG’s: Clean water and sanitation
Hashtags: #plastics #plasticsoup